There are many onbuhimo carriers on the market that cater to fashion-forward moms who want to keep their babies close while still looking chic and put together.
Onbuhimos are designed to be worn on the back, making them a comfortable and convenient option for busy moms who need their hands free. They are especially comfortable for pregnant moms and plus-size moms when no hip belt pressure is an important factor for a baby wearing gear.
With a variety of colors, patterns, and materials to choose from, there is sure to be an onbuhimo carrier to suit every stylish mom’s wardrobe.
In this article, we will explore seven of the most stylish onbuhimo carriers available in 2024, perfect for moms who want to combine fashion and function in their parenting journey.
Table of Contents
Why Onbuhimo? Onbuhimo Pros
Onbuhimos are typically suitable as toddler carriers and older children babywearing gear, i.e., for wearing kids who have sufficient neck and head control. Onbuhimo carriers have several advantages:
- Quick and Easy. Onbuhimos are known for their simplicity and speed. They are quick to put on, making them convenient for parents who need to get their child in and out of the carrier efficiently. This is particularly beneficial when dealing with wiggly or impatient toddlers who may not have the patience for a more intricate wrapping process.
- Unpoppable Seat. Onbuhimos have an unpoppable seat design, which means that the seat created for the child does not come undone easily. This feature provides extra security and stability, ensuring that the child remains comfortably seated and supported while being carried.
- Waist Belt-Free Design. Unlike many other carriers, onbuhimos do not have a waist belt. This feature is advantageous for individuals who prefer not to have pressure or weight on their waist, including expectant mothers who may find it uncomfortable to have pressure on their growing bellies.
Onbuhimo carriers have a few limitations. Here are some cons to consider.
- Limited Use. Onbuhimos are primarily designed for older babies and toddlers who can sit independently. They may not provide adequate support for younger infants or babies who lack neck and head control. Additionally, onbuhimos are typically designed for back carries only, which limits the carrying positions available compared to carriers that offer front and hip carries as well.
- Panel Size Dependent on Child. The size of the onbuhimo carrier’s panel is often dependent on the size of the child. This means that as your baby grows into toddlerhood or preschool age, you may need to upgrade to a larger-sized carrier to accommodate their increased height and weight.
- Less Versatility. Compared to some other types of carriers, onbuhimos offer less versatility in terms of carrying options and weight distribution. They are primarily designed for back carries.
While onbuhimos may have limitations, they can still be a great choice for older, independently sitting babies.
What is the difference between Mei Tai Baby carrier and Onbuhimo?
The mei tai carrier has no buckles at all and can be tied individually, while the onbuhimo has no hip belt, which allows the baby to be carried up and down very quickly.
7 Adorable Onbuhimo Carriers That Steal Hearts
There are so many adorable onbuhimo carriers on the market that it can be hard to choose just one. These carriers are sure to steal your heart and make babywearing a joy for both you and your baby.
Sakura Bloom is recognized for using high-quality, luxurious fabrics in their carriers.
Sakura Bloom pays attention to aesthetics, offering a variety of colors and patterns that cater to different preferences. The attractive designs make them fashionable accessories while being functional baby carriers.
LennyLamb offers a wide range of designs and patterns, appealing to various tastes and styles.
Similar to other onbuhimos, LennyLamb carriers are often appreciated for their simplicity and ease of use, especially for back carries.
Luna is an absolutely stunning bright rainbow of vertical stripes with a slight gradient from color to color.
The Lenny Buckle Onbuhimo is available in two sizes – Baby/Standard and Toddler.
DidyGo carriers are made from sturdy cross-twill fabric that offers great support and comfort.
Made of the same high-quality fabric as Didymos baby wraps, the Didy onbuhimo supports the child‘s back perfectly and holds her/him in a healthy and safe position.
Suitable for children who can sit unassisted, weight from about 7 to 20 kg / 15 – 45 lbs.
This water-friendly, lightweight carrier is perfect for all your ocean (or pool!) adventures. It features UV protection, quick-drying fabric, and a breathable design that won’t leave you feeling sweltered. Plus, it fits everyone in the family without needing an infant insert.
Fidella Onbuhimo is designed especially for walking children who are already curious about discovering the world with their parents, but prefer to recover on mom’s or dad’s back, to regain their strength, in between their globetrotting activities.
This adorable onbuhimo is available on Etsy. It’s so nice and cozy that you simply cannot pass by.
Neko onbuhimo is designed for babies from 8-9 months and still gives support till about kids are 3 years old.
Some Neko onbuhimos models are made from linen.
It folds up small and is a perfect carrier to pop into your bag for a day out, offering you the flexibility of quick ups as well as comfortably padded support for longer carriers.
How to Choose Your Ideal Onbuhimo
When choosing the best onbuhimo carrier, there are a few factors to consider.
First, it’s important to ensure that the carrier is appropriate for the weight and age of your child. Look for an onbuhimo that offers adjustable straps and a supportive waist belt to ensure a comfortable fit for both you and your kid.
Additionally, consider the material of the carrier and opt for one that is breathable and easy to clean.
Finally, consider the design and style of the carrier, as you’ll want something that you feel comfortable wearing, and that suits your personal style and taste.
Onbuhimos are a good type of carrier for stylish moms of 1-year-olds and toddlers.
They are especially well-suited for older babies and toddlers who want the freedom to see the world around them while still being securely held.
The lack of a waist belt makes this carrier a great option for pregnant mothers as well, as it does not put pressure on the abdomen. Also, plus-size moms find onbuhimos extremely comfortable.
Onbuhimos are also easy to put on and take off, making them a convenient choice for dads and parents who are often on the go.
If this information was valuable to you, make sure to save THIS PIN to your Pinterest Baby Carriers board, so you can access it whenever you need a refresher!
Mom of 3-year-old superhero Michael and 7-year-old princess Stasia. 👩👧👦
Passionate about research and getting to the core, enjoying processing information & always hungry for more. 📖
Learning & sharing how to be a better mom. Join me, and let’s grow together! 🌼